The purpose of the University Public Safety Advisory Committee is to promote safety throughout the University campus and increase awareness of safety conditions and programs among all members of the University community. The committee is an avenue to help the Division of Campus Safety understand campus community members' experiences, needs, and perspectives. The Division of Campus Safety values collaborative relationships with the campus community and seeks to be responsive to community concerns.
The committee will assist in describing the means for involving Division of Campus Safety staff in the life of the University in ways that will achieve the University's goals of creating an environment that is "most conducive to the intellectual, cultural, and personal development of its students."
Calls for membership will occur in the fall - shared with both the campus and community and through this website. Interested applicants will be asked to share how and why they feel their perspectives, experiences, and insights would contribute to the Public Safety Advisory Committee. The President of the University will confirm the appointment of the University Public Safety Advisory Committee members and designate the Committee Chair.
Membership shall be composed as follows:
- Two faculty members appointed by the chair of the Faculty Senate
- Two staff members appointment coordinated through Human Resources- Labor Relations (APC/CFA/CSEA/SETC/SUPA/UAPD)
- One community member appointed by the University President
- One officer of the SF State University Police Department as recommended by the AVP & Chief of Police
- Two students appointed by the AS President
With the exception of students, these appointments shall serve on the committee for a minimum of two years and the appointments will be staggered.
In addition to the above members, the following will also serve as ex officio members of the committee:
- AVP of the Division of Equity and Community Inclusion AVP and Chief of the SF State University Police Department (or designee)
- Undergraduate Education and Academic Planning (designee)
- AVP for Student Life (or designee)
- Counseling and Psychological Services (designee)- (mental health professional)
- AVP of Facilities Management Services (or designee)
- AVP for Human Resources (or designee)
- Executive Director of University Housing (or designee) Director of Risk Management (or designee)
The Committee will:
- Act as an advisory body to the SF State Division of Campus Safety in defining the broad program of public safety on this campus and the general roles of the Division of Campus Safety staff in implementing this program;
- The Committee will identify an outreach program that will ally Division of Campus Safety staff with the University community. This will be promoted by gathering information on successful public safety programs operating at other campuses and identifying those practices that would help improve public safety programs on the campus of SF State University;
- Identify the current public safety issues that impact the SF State University community; stay informed of current issues facing law enforcement throughout the CSU system as well as the state of California by working with the Assistant Vice President and Chief of Police;
- Act as liaison between its constituents and the SF State Division of Campus Safety;
- Receive a monthly summary of the activities of the SF State University Police Department and meet as appropriate to address critical public safety issues faced by the SF State University community;
- Submit an annual written report to the University President. In addition, the chair of the committee will meet with the Academic Senate and the President's Cabinet annually, and with various constituency groups as needed;
- Examine and provide recommendations concerning matters of public safety, particularly changes in current policies/practices or matters that may impact the privacy or civil liberties of members of the academic community.
Documents and Files: